Holy Cross Race Report

The V8 started off the day of racing with and exciting match-up against HC. The Bison got out of the blocks clean and at 500 in, our V8 was sitting about 2 seats up. Holy Cross responded well in the second 500 reversing that margin and pushing their bow ahead. Both crews battled hard in the 3rd 500 but by the 500 meter mark it was Holy Cross who pushed out to a 6-7 seat lead over the Bison. Early into the last 500, Bucknell started their press to the line eating into Holy Cross lead with each stroke. On the shore near the boathouse, the crowd was at a fever pitch as the race commentator in the launch exclaimed Bucknell was “MOOVIING!” “Holy Cross with 6 seats, 5 seats, 3 seats, Bucknell continuing to move… now 1 SEAT DOWN TO HOLY CROSS!,” exclaimed the commentator. Despite a solid closing move, the Bison ended up 0.7 seconds behind the Crusaders, leaving our guys wishing they had just 5 or 10 more strokes.

Next down the course were the Varsity 4’s. Holy Cross A was solid off the line and by 500 in were bow to stern with the Bucknell 4, while Holy Cross B sat open water down to the leaders. Our guys raced hard and continued to distance themselves from the B entry. Holy Cross A finished the race about 1 length open to the Crusaders, while the Bison had a sizable lead over the HC B.

In the 2V event, Holy Cross blasted off of the line. Bucknell managed to stay in contact for about 700 meters, but it was clear that Holy Cross had the horses to take this event. In the second 1000, Holy Cross continued to move away leaving our guys struggling to find their traction and speed.

The freshmen 8’s were the last to come down the course. The Bison shot off to an early lead sitting about a deck up on Holy Cross after the starting sequence. Moving into the second 500, the crews continued to trade blows with no crew having an advantage by more than a few inches. Entering the 3rd 500, it was Bucknell who decided to take an early move, pressing out to a half a length advantage over the Crusaders. Our guys did a great job holding off Holy Cross as their attempted to move back and as the race moved into the last 500, Bucknell sealed the deal by moving out to 1 length lead. The final margin was 3.7 seconds and a 1 length win for the Bison.

The Bison return to action for the ECAC National Invitational Regatta on Sunday, May 8th in Worcester, MA.